Sunday, May 24, 2015

334 The Skaneateles Library Association, Skaneateles, NY

This library is in the middle of a very busy downtown area that will probably be even busier in a week or so when the summer tourist crowd arrives. In that respect, it felt like an eastern version of Bigfork, MT. One reason I chose to visit here on this trip is that Rachel Madow recently talked about Skaneateles and discussed how to pronounce the name. "Skinny atlas" comes pretty close.

There is an area with a fireplace, chairs, and periodicals for browsing near the front windows. Another fireplace is near the back window corner, with some tall tables and chairs/stools. In one area, a jigsaw puzzle was in progress.

And perhaps someone can add a comment and tell me why I wrote the word "Fennel" in my notes at this point? I haven't a clue!

At least five computers are available for Internet access.

This is the first library where I've noticed that Dewey Decimal numbers are used without the second line, the Cutter number. Instead, the author's name is used. I read up on this a bit and learned that it's fairly common in the Northeast and New England; I shall have to watch for it.

A well in the children's area is whimsically painted; my favorite part is the cat on the flying elephant! Easy readers are designated levels 1, 2, 3, 4, and color coded.

I don't know what I missed by not going upstairs, but it was the end of a long day. Comments are welcome--what have I missed or overlooked?

For more about this library, go to http://skaneateleslibrary.org/ or
https://www.facebook.com/search/str/skaneateles%20library/keywords_top


5/21/2015, car

Because of traffic, I couldn't back up enough for a good picture of this fascinating building.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.